Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Midlife crisis before reaching mid life?

Is it possible to be plagued with more life and career anxiety after now being a few years in the workforce rather than at college graduation? There’s not a week that goes by where I don’t ask myself “Am I doing this right?” or say “I’d give anything for nap time to be instated.” At 26, it’s finally clicking with me that I am in fact, not invincible. I can not do it all.


My husband and I just recently purchased our first home and like any other dreaming American, we have many plans in hopes of making it our own. We’ve learned that planning is one thing, but actually muscling the elbow grease (or forking over the money) to put things into motion is another. In college we can study all night, go out with friends, and take exams at eight am without skipping a beat. Nowadays we’re lucky if we can make it to ten pm. My whole perspective on life and my capabilities is changing. Dare I say it, but were my parents right? You mean they do know what they are talking about? It’s hard work to balance a career, family, and social life. Throw bills and continuing education into the mix and you’ve got a pretty heavy load on your shoulders. I tip my hat to those who work full time and come home at the end of the day only to switch from Employee #87561 to Employee #Mom/Dad/Wife/Husband.


While it’s pretty depressing to think about wide eyed youthful days slipping away, it’s also pretty fulfilling to look back on where we’ve come from and where we’re going. To think about the sacrifices my family has made and the time my mentors have spent on me makes me really thankful. It’s also humbling to think of those who may not be equipped with the same blessings. It’s a long, hard road to adulthood and it’s an even longer and harder one to stay on track.

To my fellow “young professionals” who may feel like the waves are rockier than expected, all I can say is keep going. These ups, downs, and uncertainties is what life is made of. You will trip and fall. You will come to a fork in the road. Just keep going and surround yourself with people who will push you to continue and make you give one hundred and ten percent.


So here I am, Employee #7827364, reporting for duty. Mind passing the apsecreme?

No comments:


Blog Design By Yummy Design Studio